Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Love the Farmer's Market!

I love the farmer's market! Last night with dinner we had zucchini (so fresh and tender!) sauteed with a wonderful sweet onion. We also had a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber all from the farmer's market. Please excuse my gushing, but eating fresh local produce makes me feel good on so many levels!

  • It's good for the local economy. Instead of giving my money to a mega-chain retailer, I am helping to support a local farmer who lives, works, and pays taxes in my county.

  • I feel good about doing my part to help small business enterprises. They make the world a better place, but they can't survive unless we support their efforts. I like to buy from individuals, even if they are not local. I buy from Etsy when I can and I like to buy furniture from a man that makes it by hand in the small town in Tennessee where my mother lives.

  • I feel like I am giving my family healthier foods. I won't go into the multitude of reasons why I believe this to be true - that would turn this blog into an entire book! (For the long version read any of Michael Pollan's books or watch the movie Food, Inc. - see the trailer at the end of this post)

  • Lastly, it tastes better. Produce that was picked less than 24 hours ago and traveled 25 miles HAS to be better than produce that was picked 3 weeks ago 3000 miles away. It is fresher, and fresher is just better!


    SEE YOU AT THE FARMER'S MARKET!


  • No comments: