Friday, December 9, 2011

Real Food Recipe: Holiday Eggnog

I always loved eggnog as a kid - it was one of my favorite holiday traditions. When I got older, though, it didn't taste as good. I eventually realized that it wasn't me that had changed, but the eggnog. 

The eggnog I had as a child was homemade by my mother from real eggs and milk. The eggnog I had later came in a carton from the store. I haven't read the ingredients on these cartons of 'eggnog', but I am certain that I wouldn't be happy with what I saw if I did! 

So, I have always made my own eggnog. Now that I am buying pastured eggs and raw milk from local farmers I feel especially good about drinking and serving this real food homemade eggnog!

If you would like to make some yourself, here is my recipe. Don't worry - it is really easy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of whole, raw milk
  • 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • dash of nutmeg (optional)
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend for 1 - 2 minutes to mix thoroughly. Pour into glasses or mugs and sprinkle a bit of nutmeg on top.

Serves 2

Why Raw Milk?

Cheers! And Happy Holidays!

No comments: