Sunday, January 13, 2013

Paleo Breakfast

Stir-fried kale & bacon
 This morning I had the most delicious breakfast of stir-fried kale and bacon (recipe from Nom Nom Paleo), some avocado slices, and my usual morning beverage of hot Bengal Spice tea with coconut milk. It was so good that I felt inspires to share! :-)

Why am I eating greens for breakfast?

Starting January first (a very good place to start, right?) I embarked on a paleo diet in hopes of:

1) losing at least a portion of the spare tire around my middle,

2) finding out if I am eating anything that is causing me to have an allergic reaction like poor digestion, joint pain, etc., and

3) clearing up my skin - I have been battling rosacea for almost a year and I also have a lot of brown splotches on my face (and the rest of my body for that matter...).



After almost two weeks of eating this way I am starting to really get the hang of it and enjoy eating this way. 

My diet plan includes NO
  • grains
  • legumes (beans, peanuts, etc.)
  • sugar or other sweeteners
  • nightshades (common allergens; tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, etc.)
  • eggs (common allergen)
  • caffeine
I am also limiting nuts and seeds to one serving or less a day (some diets recommend excluding them altogether, but I am afraid I will be too hungry!) and fruit to 3 or fewer servings a day so my fructose level won't be too high.  

Here are some more paleo breakfasts that I have enjoyed:
  • fish stir-fried with an assortment of vegetables (you could use meat instead of fish, too)
  • sliced banana or berries with coconut milk and toasted coconut - very yummy!
  • dinner leftovers (this chicken stew made an especially good breakfast the next day)

Are you on or have you tried a paleo diet? What was your favorite breakfast?



Bengal Spice Tea

Related posts:


No comments: