Thursday, April 10, 2014

Quick & Easy Sangria

Fruity, sweet, and refreshing - Sangria is the perfect cocktail for any casual get-together. It goes great with typical cookout fare such as ribs and burgers and of course, Mexican food!




The first time I had sangria it was homemade by the mother of a friend of a friend. I was spoiled for life: I never could find any that was quite as tasty as that first time no many how many recipes I tried or how many Mexican restaurants I ordered it in (it was usually disappointing sugary bottled stuff). I guess sangria is like meatloaf - there are a thousand and one recipes and everyone has their favorite, but theirs might taste NOTHING like yours.

Then, just yesterday I stumbled upon this super-easy way to make my version of the perfect sangria. And it is amazingly easy. My husband came home with some SanPelligrino blood orange soda. I don't usually drink soda, but I tasted it, and it was delightful. I was drinking a glass of red wine at the time, and thought it would make a good combination. As it turned out, mixing them half and half made an amazing sangria! I added some frozen berries to chill it a bit more (and for fun). That's it! Yummy!


1 cup blood orange soda (make sure it is sweetened with sugar - not high fructose corn syrup)
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup frozen fruit
lemon, lime, or orange slices for garnish (optional)

Stir soda and wine together; pour into glasses and add fruit.

Makes 2 servings.


I have seen blood orange soda in liter bottles that you could use if you are making a quantity of it for several people.


Cheers!

No comments: