Sunday, April 3, 2011

DIY Handmade Envelopes From Recycled Paper

When my Etsy shop started generating sales, I wanted to find a unique and clever way to package my items.

I  also wanted to include an invoice, business card, and a jewelry care  sheet. I thought that a sweet little envelope would be just the ticket  for enclosing these things.

I considered (for about a  minute) looking for some on Etsy  to buy, and then I stopped myself,  thinking: "Wait a minute! I can  make envelopes! Why would I buy them  from someone else!!??"

So I did.

At first I used some scrapbook paper that I had laying around (I don't scrapbook - that is one more expensive and time-consuming hobby I don't need to start!!)

Then I started noticing beautiful pictures in  catalogs and magazines that would make pretty envelopes, so I started using those, too.

That led me to the realization that pages from old children's books and road atlases would make wonderful envelopes, too, so I made some of those!

This concept of using something that would otherwise be thrown away or sit in an attic box getting dusty is a common theme in my life. I have always prided myself on my quirky creativeness. I have more ideas of things to repurpose lots of things at Frugal Living Now.

You can make these, too - it is not very hard if you know how.


All you need is:
 

  • paper - something pretty with a nice 'heft' to it (not too thin); at least 8 x 11 inches 
  • scissors
  • permanent glue stick
  • marker or pen
  • an envelope to use as a pattern

    Steps:
    • open your pattern envelope at the seams carefully
    • lay it on a piece of paper and trace around it with the pen or marker
    • cut out your envelope
    • fold it up and glue it
    • let it dry thoroughly before using 


     
     That's it! You have transformed what was once waste into a cute envelope! 

    Here are some ideas for using it:
    • Send a note to a friend that hasn't heard from you in a while
    • Use your computer to make a birthday card for a family member and send it in your handmade envelope
    • Put a sweet little note in your kid's lunchbox to brighten his/her day
    • Write a love note to your sweetheart and leave it in his briefcase/car/underwear drawer




    Have fun!!

    No comments: