Thursday, October 7, 2010

This Week's Featured Artist: Sarah of Mama's Milk Money

Welcome to our weekly series on Holly&Sage!

Each week we feature a different artist or artisan of handmade items. If you would like to be featured, see Would You Like to be a Featured Artist? for details.

Today we are talking with Sarah of Mama's Milk Money!

1. What is your first name and where are you from?

Sarah from Southern California


2. What type of art or craft do you create and how did you get started with it?

I crochet hats, toys, and hair bows; do custom embroidery; make custom clothing and baby blankets; and make custom onesies and tutus.

I have crafting ADHD! I started with embroidery when I saw a cool embroidery machine demonstration. I was a stay at home mom trying to earn a little extra cash. I taught myself to crochet (left handed) and have since experimented with tutus, hair bows, crayon cases, etc.

My mother taught be to sew as a little girl.


3. Where do you market your products? How long have you been selling your work?

I have an eBay store. I have also sold to friends and at craft shows. I have been selling for approximately 5 years.


4. What is your dream for your products or artwork? Is it a mainly a hobby, or a main source of income (or would you like for it to become a main source of income)?

This is a hobby for me. I love the create things and love to see the recipient's face. I would love to do it full time, but I don't have the time right now.


5. How are your items different from the next guy’s? What is unique about your work?

I love a challenge. I have crafting ADHD so I have tried almost everything. I put my heart and soul into my creations. I want them to be perfect and I want every customer to be completely happy with their purchase. I love to do custom work.


6. What is your favorite subject matter/medium/material (whichever applies to your art form)?

At the moment I am really enjoying crochet, but that could all change tomorrow. I love a challenge and new ideas.


7. What is your favorite part of creating and selling your products or artwork? The part you like the least?

What I love the most is positive feedback. I love it when people love my work. What I dislike is that handmade items are often undervalued and not seen as 'real gifts'.


8. Tell us a little bit about your family and how they feel about your business or your artwork.

I have a 7-year old boy and a 4-year-old girl. Both of my kids love to model my creations as long as they get one for them too! My daughter has an insane number of requests; my son has just discovered my crazy crochet hats. I just made him a Pikachu and a Jack Skellington crochet hat.


Thank you so much for sharing a bit about yourself, Sarah! And I can attest to the quality of her work - she made a crocheted hat last year that I gave my step-daughter for Christmas, and I swear it was perfect! I was amazed at the workmanship!


To see and learn more about Sarah's work, visit her at her eBay Store

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Free shipping when you mention this blog with your order