Welcome to our weekly series on Holly&Sage!
Each week we feature a different artist or artisan of handmade items. If you would like to be featured, see Would You Like to be a Featured Artist? for details.
Today we are talking with Jenelle of TrashN2Tees.
1. What is your first name and where are you from?
Hi, I'm Jenelle and I call Kentucky home.
2. What type of art or craft do you create and how did you get started with it?
Maybe I have an odd sense of fashion, but it seems like year after year I can not seem to find cool kids clothes for my boys!? Sure, you have tons of basketballs and footballs, cheesy looking monster trucks, cute bears, and lame dinosaurs… but can you really blame me for wanting something different?
I appliqued my first t-shirt for my son using old clothing I had around the house- an outgrown onesie, a holey thermal, and a pair of (unworn) boxers!
Now I am not only creating awesome one of a kind appliqued tees, but I also make and sell pantalones (kids lounge pants), skirts, dresses, tee totes, purses, and reusable produce bags!
I only use reclaimed materials, most often ole' discarded t shirts!
3. Where do you market your products? How long have you been selling your work?
My products can be found at TNT:TrashN2Tees on Facebook and TNT TrashN2Tees on Etsy. I also B/S/T (buy, sell and trade) on forums like ClothDiaperNation.
Still hatching, TNT is 6 months new. But don't let that fool you- I've been sewing off and on for 15 years if you count the home ec class I took in 8th grade! (more off then on)
4. What is your dream for your products or artwork? Is it a mainly a hobby, or a main source of income (or would you like for it to become a main source of income)?
Sincerely, my hope for TNT is to inspire and encourage others to consume less and recycle more! Did you know? If each person in the world bought one recycled garment each year, it would save an average of 371 million gallons of water and 480 tons of chemical dyestuffs!
5. How are your items different from the next guy’s? What is unique about your work?
My designs are each unique and original. Everything is hand drawn and cut by me. Materials are hand picked. No two items will ever be the same.
6. What is your favorite subject matter/medium/material (whichever applies to your art form)?
Anything discarded, trashed, worn.
7. What is your favorite part of creating and selling your products or artwork? The part you like the least?
I love seeing little ones rocking recycled threads! Not only are they mini walking advertisements for TNT but they are also advocating a Green Earth and not even knowing it!
Least, hmm... I can't say I have one.
8. Tell us a little bit about your family and how they feel about your business or your artwork.
WAHM to 2 rascal boys and soul mate to a hunky washed up BMXer turned metal fabricator. My 4 year old loves to help design new tees and my hubby just wants me to mend his jeans. :) The little guy can't talk yet but I am pretty sure he thinks I'm pretty cool!
Thank you so much for sharing a bit about yourself, Jenelle!
To see and learn more about Jenelle's work, visit her at: