Thursday, September 16, 2010

This Week's Featured Artist: Audrey of Retrograndma A Blast From the Past!

Welcome to our series on handmade artists. This is my first interview in a while! I think everyone was on vacation for the summer, but this week we are back in business with Audrey of Retrograndma!

I regularly feature artists or artisans of handmade items to help promote the handmade industry. If you would like to be featured, see Would You Like to be a Featured Artist? for details.

Hi, Audrey! Thank you so much for joining us today and sharing a bit about your creative work!

1. What is your first name and where are you from?

- Audrey from Sunny Saskatchewan in Canada!


2. What type of art or craft do you create and how did you get started with it?

- I recycle books and records and create unique handbags, wallets, clocks, earring holders, hollow book safes and containers. I've been crafting for many years now...I used to do A LOT of sewing, crocheting, and plastic canvas crafts and decided I needed a change.


3. Where do you market your products? How long have you been selling your work?

- I started my Etsy shop, Retrograndma in 2007


4. What is your dream for your products or artwork? Is it a mainly a hobby, or a main source of income (or would you like for it to become a main source of income)?

- I would love it to be my main source of income. I can call it a hobby as I love creating these items - I never tire of it as each piece is unique - it's my relaxation therapy away from my daytime job. I dream of retiring soon, crafting all day and making many sales :-)


5. How are your items different from the next guy’s? What is unique about your work?

- I think it's unique to be able to recycle books and records and create handbags and other accessories.


6. What is your favorite subject matter/medium/material (whichever applies to your art form)?

- I mostly love making the book handbags - especially out of vintage books.


7. What is your favorite part of creating and selling your products or artwork? The part you like the least?

- I enjoy creating my product and then mailing it away for someone to use and enjoy. I feel good that someone is carrying my purse and leaves me awesome feedback of my craftsmanship. I do a lot of custom work and that also is a good feeling. One sale was creating custom handbags for a bride's bridesmaids !
The least thing I enjoy? I don't think there's anything that I like the least about creating and selling my products.


8. Tell us a little bit about your family and how they feel about your business or your artwork.

- When I show my family and friends - they just are amazed at what I can create out of a book or record.

Audrey, thank you for taking the time for this interview! We wish you all the greatest success.

If you’d like to learn more about Audrey or her work visit her shop, Retrograndma or her blog.